Orientation Of Students
The students report first in the school for registration. This registration/documentation process includes:
(i) Opening of personal file for each student, with the following:
- Admission letter from School of Nursing Mater Misericordiae Hospital Afikpo.
- Personal data record to be filled in triplicate by the student.
- Training record (student’s experience record).
(ii) Checking and collecting credentials for indexing:
- Testimonial from Principal of last School attended
- Age declaration/birth certificate
- Photocopies of SSCE result/certificate
- Passport size photographs
- Indexing fee (paid into school account)
- Student reads and signs hostel ‘rules and regulations (3 copies).
- Completion of Admission Register
- Students are directed to pay their school fees into the School of Nursing, Mater Misericordiae Hospital Afikpo Account in the appropriate bank, according to the fee schedule given them with the prospectus.
- Students are then sent to Home Mother with a clearance note from the Principal for hostel placement.
The home mother fixes day and time for hostel orientation tour and lecture, on use of facilities (example reading room, kitchenette, sickbay, cafeteria, common room, laundry, etc). Students are also given orientation lectures on:
- Morning Assembly and Punctuality
- How to Study
- Use of Library
- End of semester/promotional/resit examination
- Clinical Assessment etc
- Orientation tour of the Hospital takes place during the first week, after all the clinical departments/units in the hospital have been duly informed in writing.
The School of Nursing, Mater Misericordiae Hospital/Management conducts matriculation ceremony for her newly admitted students yearly, during the second quarter (April, May or June). At this time, the student nurses are expected to have come in early in September, would have completed their introductory/PTS course (i.e. first six months course) and passed, and would have been indexed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria. Indexing process starts with the collection of students’ credentials on registration during their first week in school. Photocopies of student’s SSCE result (WAEC or NECO) are collected for verification and originals collected and scanned, if this had not been done during the period of the student’s acceptance admission.